Sep 9, 2017

SATURDAY SPINSTER BLISS

I'm home from library guild and ready to settle in for an afternoon of stitching and TeeVee watching.  I had originally thought that today would be an Outlander marathon day, but as it would happen I have a friend visiting, and he is partial to the football.
'


(Cue the shocked gasps of surprise and delight.)

A visitor?!  At CS2 ?!  AND IT IS OF THE MALE VARIETY!!!???

I'm not quite ready to relinquish my spinster status just yet, but after conferring with my Council of Trusted Advisors I have decided to stop spinning around like the nutball I am trying to figure this out every damn second of the live long day and just...enjoy the adventure.

The truth of the matter is that I am 51 years old and haven't one single clue how to behave in the presence of another person.  I don't know how to be normal enough to sit on a couch and watch a movie or go to dinner or a walk without agonizing over every "should" and nuance and rule and implication of every single word, gesture, or thought.

In other words...I am as hapless in relationships as I am in every other single area of my life.

My last relationship was with Stewey, and that one was pretty easy once I realized that he was the boss and I was the bossie.  Yes...I catered to his every whim and wish, but that was my job as his person and Mommie and it was the priviledge of my life to do so.

But this is a little different.

This is a grown man who seems to be relatively self sufficient thus far, and who wouldn't know a silk smoking jacket if he fell over it.  I suspect that this man just wants to spend time in my company, so rather than overthinking myself right back into sitting here staring at the walls by myself...I should just learn how to chill the heck out.

And so the adventure begins.  The good news is that my friend understands the importance of this thing thing of ours in my life, and he is keen to encourage me to stitch.  That fact alone tells me he's a keeper.

So let's hope for the best and get on with it, shall we?

Here's hoping that you're doing something with somebody you love today and that you'll come tell me all about it.  WooHoo!


37 comments:

  1. Coni darlin~ you go girl!
    Blessings
    Baa
    Who is hunkering down in preparation for Irma's visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the poolside Hottie at whom you were supposed to wink, wink? Whatevah....enjoy the company and know that
    you have all the qualifications to charm him if you so desire... Hoping for the best.... you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Coni, you delight others at Guild and retreats, picnics, and even conquered the pool. You are genuine, which is much more endearing than knowing how to behave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew - just moving out of your years of secluded living in CSI would force you to get out into the world and meet new people - YEAH for you - enjoy your day and/or evening! Good goin" girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good girl ! Just enjoy yourself by being present !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your day; hope library guild was fun! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy for you. This is the time to relax and enjoy! :) Love, hugs & prayers. Cathryn ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to thrillin and chillin and enjoying the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post just filled my little heart with happiness for you!! You are the most wonderful and he is lucky to be spending time with you. So happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news! Now just don`t compare him too much to JDM...at least not out loud...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that's some interesting news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope that's Notre Dame football you're watching, Coni. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, how awesome!! How to act - be totally you every minute. You are perfect exactly as you are, just enjoy the company. The fact he understands & encourages the stitching is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very happy for you that you found someone who understands your love of stitching...such a good sign! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome sauce Coni! Follow your own path to happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my...Wanton Stitcher is more like it! Have a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds exciting...enjoy every second!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, Miss Connie, I do declare. Honey, just be yourself, because you are just wonderful the way you are, and if you try to be anyone else, and he thinks he knows that other person, eventually you are going to have to be yourself anyway. And admitting you are "out of practice" at this sort of thing has it's own special charm.

    Soooo, do you think you can get him to take up the needle as well, or maybe just the dishcloth? lol.

    Out to celebrate the third anniversary of our fav painting and wine drinking establish. Tonight we painted a cooked Maryland blue crab. Which means oranges and reds. We had a great time, I find the "fun" painting we do as relaxing and absorbing as needlework. It takes me away all other concerns and puts my full concentration on the painting. Even tonight, with a plethora of stubborn friends in FL who haven't evacuated, I was able to let go of the worry for a few hours.

    Tomorrow - birthday brunch for mom and dad, celebrating both birthdays together, and playing catch up on my future daughter in law's b-day, my sis in law's b-day and No. 2 son and daughter in law's wedding anniversary. I have banned the family from further significant events in August and September, as it is getting ridiculous.

    Hope your Sunday is wonderful, I'll check in tomorrow night.

    Prayers continue......

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm impressed. It's about time you had some good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well...wow! That's so great! I'll ask what everyone else wants to and hasn't. Who is he? Where did you meet him? Yep, it's none of our bee's wax for sure. This is just so exciting! Like has been said above, I hope you were your charming self. If he doesn't like it he's not the guy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so excited for you! Keep us posted.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's good to have friends of the male variety! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, Coni! Soooo damn excited for you!! Enjoy every moment of this, your latest adventure, and just to add another thought: My mother always told me to watch for 3 things in a man to determine if he's a "keeper" ---
    1) watch how he treats his mother and sisters. If he's good to them, he'll be good to you.
    2) make sure he has a boatload of his own close friends, so he's not needy and dependent on you ALL THE TIME for entertainment, and,
    3) make sure he has his own money/income. You don't need a child/hanger-on (mooch) to take care of.

    Wishing you all the best in this new adventure and can't wait to hear all about it.

    Now back to our regularly scheduled football and stitching.
    Happy Sunday!

    PS: Notre Dame's game yesterday was surely a disappointment, even though the score was so close. If only their quarterback could've thrown some catch-able passes, they would've won! It was only Cinci's numerous fouls that kept ND in the game. So bummed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOooops....Georgia, not Cinci! That was the other game I watched.

      Delete
  24. Wonderful news, Coni! Definitely enjoy. I must admit to feeling the same way you do in this type of social situation and I've been married and divorced.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't wait to read your novellas on this mystery man. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Even if nothing comes of it, enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whaaaaaat??? Jamie showed up on your doorstep? Go for it, sweet lady! Enjoy everything about getting to know someone new in your life. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always read and never comments. But today I have to say I just smiled and felt happy when I read your post. My DH claims I promised to knit him socks in our marriage vows (I didnt but I try to make him at least a pair a year).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Coni, Just catching up with the weeks doing and I think you should definitely flow on through. Be yourself, he obviously wants you as you are and if you find the secret ingredient let us all know. I am 57 and would be in your shoes of not knowing the right words either.

    ReplyDelete